Terry Pomerantz mentions that “Several people look for red wines that are low in sugar. Unfortunately, sugar content is not labeled on the wine bottles that are sold in Quebec. I would even say that several good red wines are relatively low in sugar. Moreover, it is very easy to find some of these at the SAQ.”
Terry specifies: “98% of the calories in a glass of dry red wine come from the alcohol and not the sugar from the wine. A 125 ml glass of wine with 13 % alcohol and 2 g of sugar per liter contains 92 calories, with only one calorie that comes from the sugar.”
Terry Pomerantz reminds us that “wine is made from the juice of grapes that are naturally sweet.”
Red wine that is slow in sugar: how it’s made
The winemaking process for red wine that is slow in sugar is either a very traditional winemaking process or a process that is similar to how white wine that is low in sugar is made, or even similar to the orange winemaking process.
“A wine is considered dry when it contains less than 4 grams of sugar per liter. It is off-dry or semi-sweet when it contains from 4 to 12 g/L, a sweet wine when it contains between 12 and 45 g/L and very sweet for 45 g/L and more.”
10 red wines that are low in sugar, available at the SAQ
There are excellent red wines that are low in sugar available at the SAQ. The following red wines contain between 1 g/L and 2 g/L of sugar:
Red wines low in sugar from Quebec
- 2021 Domaine Saint-Basile Frontenac, made from the Frontenac grape variety, from Montérégie. 1.8 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2021 Cantina Vallée d’Oka, a Pinot Noir from the Lower Laurentians. 9 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2017 Château de la Grange Le Chant des Vignes, this red wine from Montérégie is made from 80 % Frontenac and 20 % Sabrevois. 1.6 grams of sugar per liter.
French red wines that are low in sugar
- 2019 Château Hyon La Fleur Saint-Émilion. A Bordeaux made from 90 % Merlot and 10 % Cabernet franc. 2 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2020 Domaine David Duband Hautes Côtes de Nuits Louis Auguste, a Pinot Noir from Burgundy. 1.6 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2017 Château Le Coteau Margaux, a Burgundy made from 75 % Cabernet-sauvignon, 22 % Merlot and 3 % of other grape varieties. 1.3 grams of sugar per liter.
Italian red wines that are low in sugar
- 2018 Castello Romitrio Brunello-di-Montalcino, a Sangiovese from Toscany. 2 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2019 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo, a Nebbiolo from Piemonte. 1.4 grams of sugar per liter.
American red wines that are low in sugar
- 2021 Robert Mondavi Napa Valley, made from 75 % of Cabernet-Sauvignon, 12 % Merlot, 11 % Cabernet franc and 2 % Syrah. 1.7 grams of sugar per liter.
- 2019 Newfound Wines Grenache Gravels, a natural wine made from 100 % Grenache. 2 grams of sugar per liter.
An avid wine lover, Terry Pomerantz shares his love of fine bottles, guided by a responsible approach to the art of living. Discover his advice on food and wine pairing, his favorite bottles, and the ideal choices for each season and occasion. Immerse yourself in his passion and learn to fully appreciate each bottle in good company.